Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Junior League of Sarasota Inc. welcomes all women who value our Mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of diverse individuals, organizations and communities.
Recent events across the globe have brought us to a pivotal moment in history where we need to speak up for the values our organization believes in. The AJLI Board understands that it is important for us to listen, learn and engage. Conversations on race can be painful, hard and personal. It is more important than ever for us to be open, vulnerable and actively listening.
The Association of Junior Leagues International condemns discrimination, racism, and racial injustice in our communities and in our Junior Leagues. Black women and other women of color have been systemically denied equity and inclusion in our economy, education, civic privileges, and responsibilities in the voluntary sector, including in The Junior League. As affirmed by our member Junior Leagues, we are accelerating our efforts to take action and advance definitive, measurable policies and practices that eliminate racism in our countries, our communities, and our Junior Leagues. When we do this, we unlock tremendous power for our communities and realize our vision of women around the world as catalysts for lasting change.
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE: THE NEXT STEPS
- JLS members will read aloud our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement at all official business meetings
- JLS’s new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee will follow use AJLI’s guide to Advancing Diversity & Inclusion by Design
- JLS’s new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee will participate in AJLI’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion roundtables
- JLS will extend AJLI’s invitation to a 21 Day Racial Equity Challenge to JLS members
- JLS members will be invited to participate in AJLI Facebook member exchange groups and the Women of Color Affinity group
- JLS will expand it’s knowledge of AJLI, league, community and regional demographics and DEI initiatives through training and the sharing of information
- JLS will conduct an internal review of its current governing documents to ensure they are diverse, equitable and inclusive